adsense code

Thursday 13 December 2018

Real Life Online Sextortion Blackmail Warning - Part 4

If you haven't been following this alarming attempt by blackmailers to extort money with menaces here is the video that explains things:

Online Sextortion And Sex Blackmail On The Increase



The deadlines for so-called exposure from the Sextortion Blackmailers has passed and I've had no further threats or messages from them, which is surprising as if they are monitoring my computer and my online presence, as they say they are they would surely have happened to notice I've published several videos and 4 blogs posts naming and shaming them (shame only works if the give a crap) and highlighting their tactics to a greater public.

So why haven't they released their video, well there are several possible explanations.
  1. This is a criminal Phrishing hoax designed to extort money from me based on a lies and fear
  2. They were able to get information about my machine but not able to access it
  3. They were waiting on my response for the extra details they needed to launch an virus attack
  4. The site the allude to does not exist and is a red herring to scare decent people
So what did it do right:

  • I did not reply to their email in any way
    • It was really tempting for me to send them a piece of your mind or to tell them to sod off but I resisted all contact.  If I replied, my email would confirm its me and would give them vital information about my IP address and how to contact me.
  • I am not running a Microsoft Machine which protects me from Microsoft Viruses
    • Sadly virtually all of the Trojan Virus's out there are written in a macro/java language used by Microsoft products Word, Outlook, Excel or associated code, as a Apple user it affords me a higher degree of security.
  • I turn off communication programs when I'm not using them
    • If I were to leave Skype and other programs running they have code in them that allows others to use my machine as a jump off point, this could allow access but equally important it is using up my network bandwidth (if you have a limited package turn it off) by funnelling others calls and videos through my machine.
  • I keep my laptop webcam covered and desktop webcam disconnected 
    • This prevents anybody watching me through the cameras, monitoring my movements and knowing when I'm around or out.
  • I have an up-to-date Anti-Virus package with extended functionality
    • I've gone for years on my Apple machine without any Anti-Virus Protection, its only since I heard of people having their hard-drives locked by Ransom-Ware that I invested in an annual package.
I will be making some short videos on Online Security shortly and will keep people appraised.  If you want to know more feel free to replay to this and any other of my posts.

Malcolm aka #fixed1tINTERNETsecurity 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Its only worth while me spending time on blogs If I know they are being read and it is not easy to know. So If you have taken time to read a blog entry then please leave a comment or question. Thanks Malcolm